View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
redveloce
EcoModding Lurker

Hybrid Electric Assist Jeep Diesel

I'm sure the idea has already been beat to death here, but I have been thinking of adding an electric motor to my Jeep to assist during acceleration or high load situations.

My Jeep is pretty unique, as I've swapped the inline 6 for a 2.2L direct injection Kubota diesel. The Kubota pulls the Jeep just fine, but as evidenced by ripping out a perfectly good inline 6, I can never leave things alone

I've thought about different methods for integrating the motor, including tying into the rear output of the transfer case, replacing the front transfer case output with the motor, and replacing my engine adapter plate with a sandwich motor. I think the easiest method would be to connect the electric motor to the front of the crank though, even if this wouldn't allow any driving without the engine running. The crankshaft on the Kubota has a nice splined output sticking out the front.

I've been researching all that I can, but I still have a large knowledge gap when it comes to electric and hybrid systems. It seems pretty obvious that I'll need a motor, and high amp variable controller of some sort, as well as the battery, but I'm not sure what options are out there? I've looked into the sandwiched motors on the Civics and Insights, but it's unclear whether these are bearing supported, or whether I would have to have a bearing case fabricated? Also, is it even possible to rip the hybrid system out of a Honda and retrofit it to semi manual use? I passed up an Insight with a bad transmission for $800 a few months ago, but that's part of what spawned this idea.

If I could figure out all of those parts, the next thing would be figuring out control. I'd probably use an ardiuno to control the assist based on boost, maybe EGT, and a few other readings.

This is all idea and speculation at this point, but this is always how it starts, and how I end up spending way too much time and money I welcome any thoughts and ideas.

Here are a few pictures of my Jeep to show what I'm working with.

First the Jeep. Swap complete and daily driven.

The engine about a year ago. I've continually made changes, so it has a completely different turbo and some other parts now, and will soon have a liquid cooled intercooler.

Mid swap, figuring out clearances and engine mounts

Closeup of the same. Here you can see the splined output on the crank.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redveloce For This Useful Post:
brucey (01-28-2014), CFECO (01-28-2014), darcane (01-28-2014), Ryland (01-29-2014), UFO (01-29-2014)