View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 01:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
GeorgeWiseman
Banned

Blue Aveo - '08 Chevrolet Aveo 5
90 day: 25.13 mpg (US)
The EFIE is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
I am usually skeptical, and Frank often is as well.

I instinctively mistrust alphabet soup acronyms, because they draw people in but don't impart any information.

So tell us what "EFIE" stands for, and how it works.
Guys I'm a slow typer and I just relearned to copy and save before submitting a post. I took at least 30 minutes to write out a wonderful answer and it got erased because the website had logged me out. Sigh...

So, again, maybe not as brilliant because I'm tired and bed is calling.

It's good to be skeptical, I'm fine with that. I'm pretty skeptical too, believe it or not. In my opinion, acronyms are needed to save time and give something the brain can latch onto, in this case for marketing.

When I originally developed the circuit I called it the Oxygen Sensor Correction Circuit (OSCC). But that didn't lend itself to being shortened so I renamed it Electronic Fuel Injection Enhancer (EFIE).

As for the EFIE history, why I developed it and how it works...

We've been building various fuel-saving technology since 1974. Our best results have always been from systems that vaporize the fuel before the spark plug fires.

During 1989 we started experimenting with various fuel-vapor systems on EFI vehicles. We quickly discovered that EFI vehicles typically LOST mileage when combustion enhancement technology was applied to them.

This was mystifying because we were often getting double mileage when applying these same fuel-vapor systems to carbureted vehicles (since 1984). The engines were essentially the same, so what was happening?

It took us several months to find there were two challenges, with EFI, that did not exist when installing on carbureted vehicles.

First, by this time, most EFI systems had oxygen sensors which the CPU uses to optimize the air-fuel ratio (or so the vehicle manufacturers want you to believe).

In truth, the oxygen sensors are used to optimize the operation of the inefficient pollution control systems and only incidentally cause the vehicle to use a little less fuel (real fuel economy has NOT decreased). See my book Extreme Mileage, 101 to understand how to reduce pollution by increasing efficiency of combustion, and burning the fuel in the engine instead of burning the fuel in the exhaust pipe. But I digress…

When you actually increase combustion efficiency, creating more power with less fuel, the net result is more oxygen in the exhaust.

Carbon mon-oxide (CO), hydrocarbons (HC), nitrous oxides (NOx), go to near nothing, carbon di-oxide (CO2) rises a bit and oxygen rises from about 12% to 14% (sometimes up to 16%). The vehicle’s exhaust becomes ‘technically’ breathable (I've had hamsters breathing the exhaust of a vehicle I had a HyCO 2A system installed on).

The ‘extra’ oxygen comes from:
1. The oxygen that is NOT tied up in oxides of nitrogen.
2. The oxygen that is NOT tied up in carbon mon-oxide
3. The oxygen that is NOT burned because you are using less fuel.

Oxygen sensors compare the oxygen inside the exhaust to the oxygen outside the exhaust pipe. The greater the difference (less oxygen on the inside) the higher the voltage signal. When there is more oxygen, the voltage drops.

The vehicle’s programming automatically assumes more oxygen in the exhaust means the fuel mixture is lean (perhaps because of clogged injectors) and INCREASES the fuel use; to bring the oxygen back to ‘normal’.

It’s almost as if the vehicle manufacturers were DESIGNING fuel systems that would NOT double mileage when combustion enhancement technology (that worked with carbureted vehicles) was applied to EFI.

We discovered the ‘problem’ could be cured by adding voltage to the oxygen sensor signal (our initial experiments were pretty primitive, just a battery and a voltage divider).

We then developed an oxygen sensor voltage ‘correction’ circuit; which we eventually named Electronic Fuel Injection Enhancer (EFIE).

I knew what I wanted the circuit to do and I knew (as a certified automobile technician) how to prevent damage to the computer but I didn't know enough electronics to DESIGN a circuit that would do the job. I first took the specifications to several electronics design teams. The LOWEST bid to design the circuit was $30,000.00. At the time (about 1990) that was 2 years of my income and obviously unaffordable, so... I taught myself electronics. I smoked a lot of components and my 'style' is not school-taught but my circuits work as advertised and are duplicatable by YOU for only a few dollars (see EFIE Manual).

The EFIE is designed to add a ‘floating’ voltage (so the computer does not know there is extra oxygen in the exhaust) in a way that CANNOT damage any part of the oxygen sensor or vehicle’s computer.

My EFIE also uses my CAL technology so it can be shorted out, again without damage to the EFIE or the vehicle. I designed the EFIE to outlast the vehicle.

Before you ask.
CAL stands for Capacitive Amperage Limiting. Part of my Capacitive Power Supply innovations.
HyCO 2A stands for HydroCarbon Oxygenator version 2 series A. Just a way we kept track of our experimental progress/upgrades, fully documented in our HyCO 2A Manual.

And NO! I am not here to promote my stuff. I'm here to help as many people as possible and hopefully get to talk to people as passionate about saving fuel as I am. In fact, I'd like to talk to an administrator about having a coupon code to ecomodders can get my eBooks at no cost (for a limited time).