View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
I think paying over ~$5k for one is pretty silly unless its pristine. I paid $2k for mine with a poor battery, which is a pretty rare find for the southwest. If you live on or are willing to travel to either coast or the midwest, it shouldn't be difficult to find one for under $3k if you're willing to provide a little TLC.

If you can do your own repairs, I think they can be a great car that can last a long time. By now, its not just the battery that you have to worry about, but also the rest of the car. That can nickel and dime you to death if you have to pay someone else to do the work. I'm one that has to keep the battery healthy enough to prevent it triggering the IMA and check engine lights so it'll pass inspection. I'm not really sure what I'll do when it gets past that point (hopefully it'll be right after getting it inspected and give me a year to figure it out). Its too bad that running it with the battery disabled triggers the lights.

I'm kind of mixed when it comes to the hoarders. On the one hand, I would rather have these cars out driving and saving gas. On the other hand, most of the cars they buy would likely be headed to the scrapyard anyway.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread