View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 12:34 AM   #137 (permalink)
American Viking
EcoModding Lurker

Dad's Jetta - '05 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5l package one
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Black Cherry - '01 Honda VFR800fi
Last 3: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I understood, it just made me think...
It could probably be done. It would be a pretty big wheel, and castering might be problematic. Those little 10" wheels are good for maybe 200-250lb.
One picture I didn't get at Bonneville last year was of a Model A roadster with a fold-out bracket for a motorcycle front wheel. The rear wheel trailed like it was on a car dolly, except it wasn't. I've seen other examples.
Not good enough? I'd understand. But if you doubled up, it would be a no-wheel trailer.
I looked into one of those no trailer tag along setups, until a friend pointed out a few things.
1. Since I often have to replace three rear tires for every two front tires, so dragging the bike along behind the car will head tire wear to three rears for every front. I'm already running a "mileage" sport touring tire on the back to try to get 10,000 miles between changes
2. Whether the bike uses shaft, chain or belt, If it isn't a Harley or other bike with a separate gearbox (a rarity these days). If your towing it that way more than 500 miles, you are supposed to disconnect the drive system to prevent wear on the transmission. Even in neutral, half the gear cluster in the transmission will be spinning in bearings that are supposed to be fed pressurized oil from the engine oil pump.
So that kind of killed it for me. I don't want to have to refit the chain every time I take the bike on a tour, plus change the rear tire 2 more times a year.

As for a tire to support the trailer, I was thinking of the rear tire off a Harley bagger or gold wing. Or even just a wheel from a small car. Any of those three will carry two bikes weight. The castor angle can't be huge or the wheel house will have to be huge.
Even with two full size bikes on either side and a car tire sized castor rig in the center would still be narrower than a car.
Well now I'm going to be burning the midnight CAD time sketching up a frame to get a descent start on the trailer.
Oh man, I just got an idea, now I'm not going to be able to sleep..

Black Cherry (no epa ratings)

Dad's Taxi

The Lead Sled (EV conversion coming soon)
The Following User Says Thank You to American Viking For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (12-02-2017)