View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
Detail Man
EcoModding Lurker

02 Civic - '02 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.32 mpg (US)
So far my techniques are pretty typical for the EM crowd: timing redlights, coasting in neutral, picking routes, running in highest gear for the conditions, etc. Half of our delivery area is typical suburban (redlights, 4 lanes, subdivisions) and the other half is rural (narrow, curvy, hilly, country roads). I have plenty of opportunities for coasting with engine on, but not for engine off coasting (at least that I'm comfortable with not having a kill switch).

This tank I'm turning the engine off at each stop to see if that makes a noticeable difference. An Ultragauge (probably, still researching the different brands) is in the near future. The other technique that will really pay off is getting used to starting out in first without over-revving the engine. It's been years since I've had a stick shift.

@ MetroMPG, I read another thread of your eco-driving lessons. You mentioned that during your demo drive you had the highest average speed for the fuel used. That was an interesting observation, and it confirmed my sense that the fastest speed for the lowest rpms is most efficient.

I also liked your comment that the steep part of the improvement curve was the fun side. That's a bit inspirational.