View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #54 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.41 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
90 day: 33.04 mpg (US)
Hi Darin, finally got around to reading this thread (I don't post on EM nearly as often as I should).

Really great results you got from both Mirages there. I've still only driven the manual but did get another go in the car back in August, so managed to come up with a few figures of my own.

Now unfortunately, the Mirage's MPG display resets every time you turn off the ignition, so I've no idea what I averaged over a week. The figures were still good though. I have a freeway route nearby I use for steady-speed economy tests - it's a 50-mile route (25 each way to minimize the influence of wind direction) at a steady 70 mph, the UK speed limit. It also includes any deceleration/acceleration at the end of the first 25 miles where I exit the freeway, drive under it and re-enter it.

On that, I managed 54 mpg IMP, which is 45 US - 3 mpg above the EPA highway rating for the manual

Generally, I found figures in the 50s (IMP) fairly easy to achieve. It only dipped into the 40s (IMP again) when I started driving a bit harder - it does seem to be one of those cars capable of reasonable gas mileage however you drive it.

Unfortunately, as the review shows, I'm still not much of a fan of the car itself. I really want to like it (it's just a good, honest, frugal small car with a spacious interior) but over here in the UK we just have too many other small cars that do the same job better for the same (or less) money. Still, apparently sales of them are doing okay over here.

Edit: A pic, why not?...