View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I have lithium batteries in my motorcycle and I of course don't use it year round but those batteries have been awesome! when I compared them to lead acid batteries they were about twice the cost but 1/4 of the weight and 4 to 10 times the expected life depending on who's figures you look at for each, say you compare the best case of lead with the worse case lithium then lithium are only 4 times as good.

My BMS tells the charger not to top off the batteries when they are below 32F, right now at peek heat of the day it's 5F out and my garage is not heated so I have a 3 foot, 21 watt heat tape glued to the bottom, outside of the battery box that has a thermostat to turn it off at 45F, it does a decent job of keeping the batteries about 30 to 40F warmer then the out door temp without any insulation other then a card board box around the batteries.

My electric car is 33 years old this year, it still has lead acid batteries (when they wear out it's getting lithium) and I've done up grades on it, but most of the work it's needed is breaks, suspension and regular vehicle up keep.
I rebuilt the motor a while back at a cost of about $120 for parts and labor.