View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Saving the World with $100 billion.

This was my first assignment for my Global Health class:

Quote:
Over 840 million people throughout the world do not have adequate food (Nations, 2013), although it is 49 million inside of the United States alone (DeParle, 2009). One hundred billion dollars, spread across the billions of people living outside of the United States could make significant improvements for the individuals affected, but just addressing food, that would work out to $119.04 per person, or 32.6 cents per day. Perhaps that would provide one meal per person per day, although the money could also be used to provide vaccinations, running water, or education. However, it would also be $2,040.81 per hungry person in the United States for one year, $5.59 daily! Therefore, my plan would be to try to find the most economical method of ending domestic hunger, conservatively invest whatever might remain, and provide food for as long as possible.
I estimated that one hundred billion dollars would be sufficient to end domestic hunger in the United States for one, maybe two years. That is it. What long-term effect would that have? Why were they hungry in the first place? Did we do anything to prevent them from being hungry once we run out of money?