View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I had not heard of him. I wonder how well it would go over if I wrote "I will spend my money depriving the poor of their food, therefore ending domestic hunger!"
Doesn't work that way. It's just simple math applied to the real world. There is only so much that can be done to increase food production, but people left to themselves always produce more kids than the previous generation, so at some point population outstrips food supply.

And if you work hard at increasing food supply, say by mechanized agriculture dependent on fossil-fuel derived fertilizers & pesticides (not to mention long-distance transportation & refrigeration), the whole system becomes increasingly unstable. One major drought or an interruption of fuel supplies, and the whole house of cards could come tumbling down. Not exactly whhat I thing of as saving the world.

Quote:
Fifty-nine million people go hungry every year in the United States. Why aren't they getting enough food?
Who says so? First, provide supporting evidence for the claim.

On the other hand, per the US Center for Disease Control, 69.2% of American adults are overweight, 35.9% are obese: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/overwt.htm

Now if you figure that 59 million is about 20% of the population, that leaves only 10% who are neither overweight nor hungry, which seems distinctly odd. But it does appear to present a couple of ways of solving both problems, if you could come up with a practical way of implementing them.

Last edited by jamesqf; 02-02-2014 at 02:36 PM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
P-hack (02-02-2014), user removed (02-03-2014)