View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
ScotD
EcoModding Lurker

Both the Honda Grom (125) and Honda CBR250R could be the good choices for donor machine. Each has advantages and disadvantages; both are fuel injected and electronic ignition. The biggest difference is weight and power. The Grom is 225 lbs curb weight, the 250R about 360 lbs. I’d guess this means my finished trike would be under 300 lbs using the Grom vs. around 435 lbs using the 250R. I weigh about 175 and imagine often having another 25 lbs of baggage (500 vs 635 total weight).

Assume that aerodynamics are the same (same area and drag coefficient) and that they would be driven the same (NOT using the 250’s greater power for faster acceleration or cruising speeds) – what is likely to be the difference in MPG? For highway travel? For around town?

I expect most of my use will be highway, cruising around 55mph – traveling on the 2-lane highways of the less populated west, not freeways. Of course there would also be some use “around town”, though since I live in a town of under 1000 people with no stoplights, that’s not city driving, and generally I prefer to walk or bicycle. I will also use the trike for getting to/from trail heads and around local rural areas some, and, of course, occasionally for getting around a city during a trip.

I imagine I’ll get at least 125 mpg, and hope for much more, but I don’t know enough to be able to evaluate accurately, nor to evaluate the difference likely between 125cc & 250cc approaches.

Input appreciated.

Thanks, Scot