View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #44 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Strange how I keep missing posts, especially in my own threads. I did not post my entire assignment, although I included the in-line citation. Here is the full one: DeParle, J. (2009, November 16). Hunger in U.S. at a 14-Year High. New York Times, p. A14.

Doing a Google search for "DeParle, J. 2009 hunger" yielded an archive of the article as the very first result. Here is a direct link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/17/us/17hunger.html?_r=0

For the record, I like my idea of investing most of the money and using the interest for science fairs.
I think that if that news article accurately reflects whatever study was done (don't immediately see link to source), then there are major problems. For instance:
Quote:
The 18-item questionnaire asks about skipped meals and hunger pangs...
Now I'd have to answer yes to that: I have hunger pangs pretty much every morning, quite often skip meals when I'm involved in something else, and just generally don't eat unless I AM hungry - which is part of the reason why I'm not overweight. Does that mean I can't get food any time I want?

Nor does it seem to ask how many of those who couldn't afford food at some point couldn't afford it because they spent all their money on booze, cigarettes, drugs, non-necessity consumer goods, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
CFECO (02-09-2014)