View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
jkv357
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotD View Post
The California Commuter, built in 1980 and setting world mpg records that year, started with a Honda Super 90 engine, and they got highway speeds and something like 186 mpg. To make it legal on the freeway they had to increase the power, using a stroke kit to bring it up to 130 cc. Though there was no significant weight change, the mpg went down to under 160mpg (they had expected an even greater change).

So since using a CBR250R would result in at least an extra 100 lbs weight, as well as twice the cc's, it seems very likely that mpg would be significantly lower than using a Grom . . .
I looked up the California Commuter (The California Commuter - World Record Holding 155 MPG Freeway Legal Car!) and read most of the info, and am surprised they only got 157 mpg on gas. The aero-modded Ninja 250s that Vic and Allan run in the Vetter Challenge are right in that range - even with speeds over 55 mph average and windy conditions.

I didn't see much info about the engine of the California Commuter. I'd like to know what RPMs they were running at 55 mph and at what % of throttle opening.

Here's info from Vetter's site about his competitions in the 80s - 1985 Fuel Economy Contest.

Best numbers were from Matsu Matsuzawa with 440 mpg. This page lists some of his mods - 1985 Matsu talks. In the results it says "Honda XL80", but in that page he says he stroked a 125 up to 185ccs. If Matsu was using 185ccs to get 440 mpg the CBR250's displacement shouldn't be a huge handicap - especially with newer-tech and F.I. in real-world riding where you will need acceleration at times. He also added a neutral available from top gear so he could coats freely - pulse and glide style.

Craig Vetter later commented (here and on his site) that he does not approve of P&G and will not allow it in the current competition.