View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
smoothtrooper
EcoModding Lurker

Chippy - '93 Honda Civic DX Hatch
90 day: 35.92 mpg (US)

VD - '98 Chevy Lumina base
90 day: 28.72 mpg (US)

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 18.11 mpg (US)
Pulse and Coast Log for my SUV

This thread is going to be a log for my results of my new driving technique, the pulse and coast. I have recently bought a OBDII bluetooth adapter and I am using the Torque app on my android phone to view my live MPG's, avg MPG's, and Trip total MPG's.

SUV: 2000 GMC Jimmy SLT 4.3L V6
Driving normally I would see between 15 and 16mpg on my way to work, mixed city and rural roads.

Last week was first full tank using Torque app. I was seeing great results right away averaging 20MPG on my way to work, and 24MPG on the highway. The only problem was when I got in the city when visting so friends. All thoes lights and stop and go killed my mpgs big time.

Results from first Tank before Pulse and coast.
13.6gallons of fuel used to go 236.7 miles = a little over 17MPG.

Start reading Ecomodder tips again, light goes off try "Pulse and Glide" AKA Pulse and coast for us non hybrid owners.

Day1. Pulse and Coast on my way home from work, 25 mile commute.
Download Torque's logs and do the maths. AVG live = 30MPG!!!!! WHAT?! This cant be right.
Re check the maths, check the Overall AVG MPG's = 30.2MPG WHAT? No flipping way, is what I am thinking. I will keep a few weeks of logs and check the data VS the tank AVG.

Day2. Car pool day only have to commute 5 miles.
Going to Park and Ride this is city/town driving dense traffic.
I do the Maths on the log Live MPG's is 22.71MPG This looks better but it was alot of stop and go. Looks like Pulse and Coast is working.
Drive home.
5 mile commute results after the maths on the live log 23.29MPG. This is looking good.

Maybe changing the nut behind the wheel will really pay off.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoothtrooper For This Useful Post:
Arragonis (02-08-2014)