View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Detail Man
EcoModding Lurker

02 Civic - '02 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.32 mpg (US)
How do I know if my car uses DFCO?

So I've been reading up on P&G techniques and the pros and cons of coasting in neutral, clutch in and clutch out. Anyway, the issue of whether or not the car employees DFCO comes in to play. I assume that my 2005 Chevy 2500HD Silverado (auto trans) uses DFCO, because after topping a hill and letting off the pedal, the tach goes to idle as I go down the hill (coasting in gear). This is DFCO in action, correct?

How can I find out if my 2002 Honda Civic LX (5sp manual) uses DFCO? (FYI: I have been coasting in neutral with the engine on mostly, but have begun experimenting with EOC.) When I let off the pedal and remain in gear the tach still shows 2000 rpm in 5th (for example). But if I slip into neutral at the same speed, the tach shows about 800 rpm idling. I imagine when I get a Scangauge/Ultragauge I'll be able to measure the difference in fuel consumption, but I don't have one just yet (still trying to decide on which one/saving up). If there is no DFCO at play, then I'm using less fuel coasting in neutral at idle, correct? But if the civic uses DFCO which is the best technique?