View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #53 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Isn't it astonishing that gummints pay people to reproduce in the midst of a population explosion?
If I were still doing on-line dating, I might as well use "How do I get in on this payment to reproduce thing?" as my headline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Line losses. Figure roughly 1% per 100 miles for HV, which makes anything over about 4000 miles impractical. (See e.g. Wikipedia: Electric power transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) Of course you have to remember that there's not much demand for electricity close to the Bering Strait, so you have to run your line across most of Alaska and a big chunk of Canada before finding many customers, and a similar distance on the Siberian side.
Then I am not spending my imaginary $100 billion on that!

It is not like you can just run a line merely long enough to reach land on both sides, set up solar panels, and offer twenty-four-hour solar energy to whoever wanted it. The idea really does require electricity to travel from one hemisphere to the other, and even if you had a line running along the arctic circle, that would be completely useless for a good part of the year.

It is an interesting idea, though. Those toothpaste reactors definitely sound like a better idea. Nuclear is good enough for France, aren't they stereotypically picky or something?

I was in Paris a few times. I was not impressed with their croissants.