View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
dmafanp
EcoModding Lurker

Black sheep 2013 - '11 Volkswagen Jetta S
90 day: 29.01 mpg (US)

black sheep 2014 - '11 volkswagen jetta trendline plus
90 day: 29.78 mpg (US)

Black sheep 2015 - '11 Vw Jetta mk6
90 day: 22.42 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
One thing we need to recognise is that a lot of members here have to drive in temperatures that others never see. 25C below is around 45F below freezing, so about -13 Farenheit.

I saw a 20% drop in mileage here in eastern Va when we had temps down into the single digits Farenheit. Had they gone down another 25 degrees, I would have been in the same scenario as the OP. Only seen those kinds of temperatures once at a ski resort in 1966, 17 below with chill factors close to 40 below.

If you look at the OP's fuel log he has a few tanks at over 40 MPG, so when he saw 20, added a grille block and started using a block heater. Even with both of those mods, his mileage, at 30MPG is still far below the 40 where he has peaked.

Only a small percentage of us on this forum see a 50% loss in mileage due to winter temps.

I am not trying to argue that the claim of a 50% increase in mileage is due only to a grille block and it might have been better to explain this in the original post. I would guess that most of the improvement wasdue to the grille block, but the block heater use would be significant, especially if his commute is fairly short.

Success, however it is obtained is still better mileage. Instrumentation that provides instant feedback is great but the real goal is to lower fuel consumption.

Congratulations on your success.

regards
Mech
This is exactly my situation I believe the trip is 4.3 miles, thank you for explaining that,

The Following User Says Thank You to dmafanp For This Useful Post:
user removed (02-07-2014)