View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Lubrizol has released a new additive that does a better job of cleaning fuel injector interiors, not just the tips. POWER SERVICE and some others use it (though not by name; "improved"). On my 15L work truck the addition of this made a noticeable difference in throttle response. Though, as DD notes, probably too hard to quantify.

As it is also a noticeable difference in my 5.9L personal truck -- and is easily available -- I use it regualrly. SCHAEFFER Diesel Treat is harder for me to find, but has even more of an effect. BOth worth it from standpoint of keeping fuel performance higher, but FE gains may not be easily quantifiable. I believe them worth up to 1/2-mpg for me.

Best approach to FE in a personal vehicle is still to look for percentage improvements to the annual average mpg. Mechanical baseline and aero are what work given steady-state highway mpg. This wil always be the hardest nut to crack (past best tires). All else is cutting annual miles in doing same work and then driving remaining miles better.

No mechanical slop (especially steering for on-highway) and camper aero will be the biggest challenges as weight, per se, doesn't mean so much with an overpowered American diesel pickup at below 60-mph on long trips.

The old AVION truck campers were the high water mark of lightweight, aircraft construction aerodynamic housing. Is thiis the type in mind? If so, there are excellent overlapping threads on both WOODALLS and AIRFORUMS of rebuilds by a handful of enthusiasts.