View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
My yellow electric car has almost caused accidents by drivers on the other side of the road. A few have stared at me not paying attention to what the car in front of them was doing and I have just about caused rearenders because of the stareing factor (not directly)
I also have had a few people make U-turns to follow me. Lately that hasn't happened as much since most folks are getting used to seeing me drive all over creation. I have never had a close call getting hit though in the car, but my car does cause inattentiveness by others who are gauking.

I do tend to speed pretty bad in my electric though, I only drive slower with gassers and diesels. I really don't hypermile though as I don't employ all of the techniques and I certainly don't do it all the time due to traffic & circumstance. I at least try though, unlike many of the bafoons on the road. I guess 60mpg in a 4sp diesel jetta isn't all that bad but I had to drive REAL slow to get there, I usually do it on almost vacant 4 lane highway on my way up to the UP.

And I am lucky enough to say, I have never had an accident except for two sub 5mph ones at lights when I was driving an old 1982 suburban and was slip sliding on the light rain greased leaves. Never happened again (nor did I do any damage anyway) But those accidents weren't do to hypermiling anyway. I also figure I am one of the few that probably drove better when I was 16 than I do now, I learned and took my tests on glare ice in the winter. So for years I was EXTREMELY overcompensating but I never had close calls or rearenders because of it.

I also think most of the safety nuts are really wolfs in sheeps clothes trying to cause distractions to continue the status quo. I have seen various individuals pop out of no where spreading mis information when I bring up electric alternatives on other forums (trolls with no previous posts, saying they are automotive engineers and how terrible it all would be)

Strange that I never meet anyone like this in person, except for one gas station that doesn't like me buying banannas there with a gas card I rarely use to get my 1-2 cent discount. I shouldn't have the card I'm told unless I buy gas.

Ah well