View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #172 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
This looks promising.

I'd love to see the details of steering and turning the wheels when it comes time to reveal.

Are those old style VW Beetle torsion bars up front?
I am thinking about the steering, it does intrude into the passenger compartment. I found a 91 civic at the pick and pull yard with a manual rack and pinion. At this point I think I am going to dump the VW steering box and replace it with the manual rack from the Civic. I can weld mounts to the top torsion tube as close as possible to the shock mounts leaving just enough clearance for the rack ends to clear the shock mounts. I still need to do some measurements to see if the total width of the rack from tie rod end to tie rod end is close to the same as the old VW setup.

This would give me the Honda system including the steering wheel and all necessary parts. It would also give me about 6 inches more leg room and allow the drivers and passengers seats to move forward some.

The VW steering box is clamped to the torsion bar tube so removal is easy and it would also allow me to get rid of the dampner and the mounting bracket for the dampner. It would make the torsion bar tube just in front of where your feet would rest.

regards
Mech