View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
sarguy01
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Last two tanks were not as good...two fills ago I only got 34 mpg, but then again that tank was almost entirely driving on snow and ice covered roads, so I didn't glide so well. Last night's fill was 39 mpg, which is excellent, but lower than I had hoped for. The interstate driving is making it hard to reach higher mpg. There is a lot of traffic and I can't P&G or EOC since people like to follow closely. All lanes are usually pretty congested.

I need to figure out a way to hook my ancient charger up to the battery without popping the hood every night. I am working full time and going to back to school for a masters, so I am kind of lazy when I get home. I don't want to pop the hood at 10:30 at night to hook up a charger, just to unhook it again at 6:30 the next morning. I know Amazon has some kits, but I need to weigh the cost vs benefit. I want to charge the battery every night so I can feel comfortable sitting at red lights with the engine off. I am not sure how old the battery is and what life it has left.

I also need to look into LED headlights to put into the fog lights. The voltage drops quickly on my Torque app, usually from 12.5 to 12.0 when EOCing with the headlights on. The roads I EOC on are empty at night, but they are in the woods and there are no street lights. I need some light to see and the running lights only won't light up the road enough. I am hoping the LED lights will use up the battery less.