View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
sarguy01
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
There is a code on the battery that will tell you when it was made, look online for code interpretation.

Not sure of your routes but I am familiar with VaBeach traffic which can be in the top 10% of terrible in the US.

When coasting won't work and in heavy traffic, drafting is your best choice, and in Va Beach traffic, especially rush hour, drafting is unavoidable.

I use a method I call-pulse drafting. Get setup behind your draft creator and use the downslopes from overpasses. You can coast a good bit without great speed changes with pulse-drafting, but give yourself enough room to dodge the pot craters (potholes the size of craters) that can wreck your suspension and alignment.

I normally do not recommend it, but for anyone here who knows how dense the traffic is here at times, you will understand that if you tried to maintain decent separation you would just become a slow moving doormat.

regards
Mech
I take Indian River to 64 to ODU. Indian River is 45 mph and during the day it moves right at 45, but there are usually cars in front and behind me on the way to school. At night, it is perfect for EOC and where I employ EOC the most. I just can't see when I turn the headlights off...

64 is almost nightmare going to school. Left lane is 65-70 (speed limit of 55), middle lane is 55-65 and the right lane is 0-55, depending on what exit is coming up. All lanes have random slow downs at times. How effective is drafting other cars? I don't mind getting close to a semi, but there aren't any during the time I drive 64. I don't know if I want to get that close to another car. There are plenty of 1/2 ton pick ups to follow...How close do I need to be? I guess I can experiment.

I'll try pulse-drafting if I can. Tonight I will see if there are any large vehicles I can get behind. I won't put myself or them in danger, but lets see if I can make it work.

By the way, I'd love to come see your trike build sometime. Your only about an hour away from me.