Thread: Trucks & SUVs
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

I don't think it is money.

I think it the desire to show you have money more than anything else.

As an example A-Junior went to a state "primary" school until aged 10 here. It is in a "nice" area and at school events the car park would be full of brand new, top of the range Range Rovers, BMW X-5s etc. - more of less £30-40K ($50-65k) each. A couple of families would always turn up in a Maserati once or twice and one guy insisted on driving his Ferrari alone and having the family join him in their Range Rover.

We moved A-Junior to a fee paying school at age 11 for various reasons - and no we are not rich we are just spending less on other stuff...

You would think that this would mean given the fees and the profile that even fancier cars would be present at school events ?

Nope. Honda Jazz (aka Fit), Civics, Audi A4s, Mondeos etc. - more or less cars in the £10-20K range. Some (like me) running older mercs and Audis too.

The parents are more interesting too.

Mr Ferrari at A-jnrs old school was a car salesman. So yeah, cars, expensive cars...

The guy in the 8 year old Subaru Forrester I got talking too one evening at the new school is head of security for an international charity. Another (in a £12K second-hand Freelander) is a director for a worldwide biotech leader and his wife (no car) is involved in a worldwide charity at a high level.

No need to show off though, none of them.