View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
PAFirefighter11
Diesel FTW

Golf TDI - '03 Volskwagen Golf TDI GL
90 day: 44.63 mpg (US)
Talking My Latest Acquisition: 2003 VW Golf TDI

I've been looking for a Golf TDI for months, even prior to purchasing my former HX. I really like the style, especially for bringing the dog on long trips. However, the main reason for this purchase was due to the very high FE.

I could never find one locally for a decent price, without having 400,000 miles on it. I decided to start checking out locations further away. I used a fancy "TDI" search called "Foobert's. It basically searches all of Craigslist in the US and Canada and lists every single TDI. There's not really a search feature for location or price, so I had to scan through the entire thing. Finally, I found one that seemed like a decent buy. However, it was 5-6 hours away! I figured what the heck, it'd be worth it.

On Wednesday my buddy and I made the trek up there in my Trans Am. 5 hours of driving there and 6 driving back but worth it. Here's the one I picked up:

Up in Massachusetts:

And back home here in PA:

It's got 245k on it, which for a TDI that's nothing. If you check out TDI Club you'll see quite a few in the 600,000 and even 700,000 mile range.
I haven't refilled since the drive home so I'm not sure of my FE on the drive home, but these seem to average 50-60 highway from those with whom I've spoke. It is a 5 speed, 2 door. I really wanted a 4 door, but they're so incredibly hard to find I figured I'd settle for the 2 doors again. The prior owner was the original owner and drove 60 miles a day from NH to a Boston, Mass. suburb.

I have a set of studded snow tires with steelies on it now. The PO also gave me a set of summer wheels/tires.

I'll post non-cell phone photos when I have some time, but I'm excited for yet another fun Eco Modder adventure!

-'98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 5.7L (22 MPG)
-'01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 5.7L (22 MPG)