View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
yoyoyoda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
@Yoyoyoda
Audi state the gearbox is sealed for life, but that is a myth like Audis never rust Because of this I don't think there is a dipstick on the trans based on numerous Google and Google Image searches. There is a level check bolt and a filler bolt - the idea being you fill it up until the fluid pours out but this is hard to get to.
We have a similar scenario down here in AUS with a Ford Falcon EL model which came out with a sealed gearbox with the exact same method of refill as yours has. It is well renowned for failure and trouble.

The problem with the lack of a dipstick is that backyard mechanics will then shy away from replacing the transmission fluid on a regular basis, the exact problem which was meant to be solved by incorrectly filling an auto transmission actually just made the problem worse because then people just didn't bother paying for services. It backfired on the repairmen :P

96 EL Falcon gear change jerk - problem? - Ford - Automotive

Quote:
I will get the fluid level checked though this week and see what happens.
This is the perfect place to start off with diagnosis.

Quote:
One other issue I have noticed is that sometimes when in D at a standstill there is a rumbling noise in time with the engine at idle so coming from the trans maybe. When I shift to N it goes away. It only happens sometimes though. The last time this happened I stopped somewhere for 10 mins and then restarted and it was fine again for the rest of the day. Engine mount maybe, exhaust perhaps vibrating against the floor at certain temps ? Who knows.
Yeah could be that, have you done a thorough inspection of the transmission mounts? maybe something isn't bolted up properly.

If it were my car I would be underneath there with a flashlight checking out everything.

Failing those easy fixes...

It needs a proper inspection, solenoids can and do fail, it could also be a dirty connector somewhere on the outside of the transmission which is making an intermittent contact and is losing contact when you shift.

On my toyota a neutral selector sensor has a 20 pin connector where the silicone rubber seal around the inside of the connector had burst and let its silicone fluid run out down to the connector, clogging up the pins.

I disconnected the battery and cleaned out the connector with degreaser then made up another seal with black silicone from a tube.

Good luck

Last edited by yoyoyoda; 02-15-2014 at 11:06 PM..