View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #293 (permalink)
yoyoyoda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Grammeter View Post
First, I confess I have not read the entire thread - it is quite long.

But just in case no one mentioned this strategy:

Set up an alternator Kill Switch like the drag racers do and then engage the alternator when you are using the brakes to slow down.
yes! I was thinking this myself tonight. but with a twist, instead of just a kill switch going to the alternator stator coil, (which has the trouble of telling the computer that something is wrong with the alternator). Instead of that using a relay to switch the output of the alternator which is then controlled by a computer (eg, arduino) or sensor circuit which detects when the starter battery voltage gets to below 12v and automatically turns on the alternator to charge the battery.

Then disconnect the battery when voltage rises to 14.0 v.

This is so when you drive 500 miles you aren't left with a fully depleted battery when you arrive, or break down on the side of the road from a completely flat battery which wont crank your engine.

So during the drive the alternator kicks in and out much like an air conditioner compressor, cycling the battery.

You could then replace the starter battery with a deep cycle one and have an alternator which automatically disconnects from the engine when you are driving and when it is safe to run from battery power while driving.

This should give you a 40-50 mile range on a deep cycle battery with the huge bonus of 10% fuel efficiency savings and the peace of mind of a system you don't have to worry about constantly.

THEN combine this wonderful setup with a 20-40 watt solar panel which charges the deep cycle battery when the car is parked, so you can start it again in the morning!

The solar panel system can then charge the battery even while driving, when using a cheap seperate charge controller off eBay, you could theoretically load the car up with 40-80 watts of solar panels on the roof of a wagon, provided you make it aerodynamic and then run the entire electrical system from solar.

= BOOM = a wonderful fully automatic alternator disconnect system is born!

I'm excited to implement it on my ride

Last edited by yoyoyoda; 02-16-2014 at 07:12 AM..