View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
kennybobby
Southern Squidbillie

i have a problem with their conclusion #2, that ethanol E20 produced higher torque at all speeds,etc. This statement makes me think that they don't know how an eddy current dyno operates or how to interpret the results.

My point is that an engine does not produce torque based upon its speed, but that the speed an engine turns is a function of the torque load on the shaft, the throttle opening, the spark advance, the fuel pulsewidth timing, etc. Speed is not an independent variable, but a result that depends upon the input conditions. Torque is the load on the engine and is not a function of speed.

On an eddy current dyno you set the torque load and it remains fixed at that torque regardless of speed. The engine throttle, fuel, spark, etc. are then adjusted to a set point, and then the speed is measured. Adjust to new set point, measure speed again. Collect data and plot torque on x-axis and speed on y-axis with family of curves for the different throttle openings, fuel timing, ignition, etc. They did not appear to do this in their testing.

The Following User Says Thank You to kennybobby For This Useful Post:
litesong (04-11-2015)