Thread: Trucks & SUVs
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #42 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
I saw a Subdivision (Frank's term for Suburban) on the auction list with 432,000 miles.
That's about $100,000 in fuel costs (todays prices) alone. I'm sure the neighbors were impressed.

regards
Mech

That's an interesting metric that almost never gets any consideration.

It is the only one that matters. And factor in the additional land and house construction expense (financed) that more closely covers vehicle "true cost". That'll bring the morally superior hybrid owners to a full conversational stop.

It is that fuel is subsidized. Nothing else really matters, in the ultimate view.

As to pickups, I found it pretty funny that I could show that over 300k (what a DODGE CTD can do) that my 2WD, manual trans 1T will pay for a new version of the same in saved fuel costs where the driver makes some attempt at fuel savings. This is over the 15-mpg reported average of a 4WD/auto trans truck. Of course, lifted and fitted with offroad tires makes the payoff faster.

We might say, people are free to spend what they will, but the utility of the vehicle, truck or not, is the real point.

IOW, why a 4 to 6-person vehicle with but one aboard 99% of the time. Other than a Smart Car seems stupid, on the face of things. It isn't just pickups.

And leave the hitch receiver in place. Fuel savings don't exist for this change, but loss of utility is central to the vehicle when used as designed. Removed parts tend to be lost, and fasteners aren't happy at being re-torqued, anyway.