View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
It seems like you already have the right idea. Contrary to many people's belief, the most efficient way to drive a hybrid is the same as the most efficient way to drive a non-hybrid - COASTING as much as possible. It is far more efficient to coast to your desired slower speed than to convert kinetic energy -> mechanical -> electricity -> battery -> electricity -> mechanical -> kinetic.

I am not sure how this is best done with the Escape, but I image you have figured it out already. During slow down, probably just enough throttle to keep the regen from happening but not too much so the ICE starts up.

Obviously regen makes an excellent replacement for the DFCO that most of us have for added efficiency in moments when a quicker slowdown than coasting is suddenly required. Better to recover energy than turn it into heat.

I am very interested to see what you can manage to do with your Escape. I have had my eye on Escape Hybrids for years, as well as the Plug In Supply PHEV kits that are available. Pretty cool stuff!