View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #297 (permalink)
steveo539
EcoModding Lurker

That was the longest thread I've ever read on a forum. But good stuff. I'm up here in the pacific northwest (or southwest for you Canuks) so I get lots of rainy days (wiper motors) and foggy windows (defroster motor) and short daylight hours in the winter (headlights both to and from work). I'm chicken to go "alternatorless" and like the security of on-demand charging. Thinking my situation would benefit from reducing the electrical load as much as possible. LED lighting wherever possible, Create a "vent mode" so I don't have to run the fan as much, liberal use of Rain-X and either the alternator kill switch or electromagnetic clutch on the alternator. Use deep cycle battery(s) and take advantage of plugging in to the grid wherever possible to keep the battery charged. I do have a short commute so that works in my favor.

I am a tinkerer and do work for an air conditioning manufacturer. I can get as many electrical clutches to play with as I want from our warranty compressors. I read someone's thread about installing an A/C clutch on their power steering pump. Nice work there. Might be able to come up with an adaptor to use the stock smaller alt pulley and place the clutch between the alt pulley and alt. You would need to space the alternator back from the belt by the thickness of the clutch.
Do the same for the power steering or delete it all together. I've driven a similar car without PS and it wasn't bad.