View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #45 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I used to take the coil wire with me if I was leaving it parked for a while.
This works, unless the guy is smart enough to pull one of the spark plug leads off and use it for a coil wire, then drive away minus 1 cylinder firing. Or so I have heard.

The only car I have ever lost to theft was a '93 Chrysler New Yorker. Ugly as sin, it got stolen because some local kids wanted to make it to the liquor store before it closed and they didn't have time to walk there. Any car can get stolen, doesn't matter how ugly it is, just depends on how bad someone needs a ride. And if someone wants your car, it doesn't matter what you do, they will get it. The best you can hope to do is make it a less appealing target than the car parked behind it. Things like steering wheel clubs, while useless, are at least good for this. Same with flashing LEDs etc. But, if they really want your car, it's going to go. There are guys in town here that use tow trucks with fake towing company logos on the doors, they even hit the yellow flashing rooftop lights when they are hooking up, just to look extra legit in case your neighbors are looking out the windows.

There was a guy here years ago with a 5.0 Mustang that he took to car shows etc, and he didn't have a garage, so he 1. had a steering wheel club that had a crazy tazer built into the end of it, so if you didn't know it was there and you grabbed the club you got 50000 volts as a reminder not to do it again. 2. He kept the car chained to his house. As in an actual huge gauge chain around the rear axle, then around a concrete filled steel pipe he had put in his driveway. As far as I know, that car never got stolen, though that would be a lot of work every morning getting that thing ready to drive to work!