View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #298 (permalink)
justme1969
Master EcoModder

I dont have time to read all 11 pages

rite now and possibly already posted this but; I tackled this issue also.
My simple initial solutions were adding a toggle to activate alternator when I wanted it to be on. Added a toggle to Cooling fan to control the prolonged cycle run time on it.
Added Led fog lamps for dusk and dawn and alot of engine off glides that really sucked battery down.
These mods seemed to be an answer at the time

Cause: Air dam caused fan to run constantly.
Effect: I controlled by switch and gage:
Effect: after running engine really Hot 1x I installed a higher temp fan switch instead. This and an Led indicator to help me see how often fan came on and or stayed on till got switch as best case as possible. I removed switch and Led light. called it best possible.

Cause: Alternator drawing down MPG during Testing.
Effect: Added switch to alternator regulator wire for activation down hills and at stop lights.
Effect: Routine deep cycle charging cause death of batt and nearly left me at stop light 1x
Effect: Bought Biggest battery that I could fit with large reserve and seldom use switch regulator is much more efficient at maintaining battery. I still do use switch sometime at on ramps and stop n go.

Cause: Fast Battery discharge during morning commute due to excessive engine off glide in darkness. Excessive Alternator run time recharging on trip both directions.
Effect: Installed LED fog lights with toggle.
Effect: Nearly caused an accident from no use of tail lamps 1x till I touched brake pedal.
Effect: Tied fog light switch in as interruptor in parking light series. And bought cheapo digital battery maintainer mounted to batty and left plug under dr. fender.
Effect: trickle charge with conditioner keeps battery full every night so long as I remember to plug it in. Fog lamps only used dusk to dawn now not in dark. when using for actual fog all lights tied into circuit are brighter.

So you see nothing here is perfect but all help. but learn from my mistakes. Nothing like killing a $140 batt and $175 alternator and getting $30 for it credit when it shoulda been good for another 3 -5 years. But thats not as bad as sceeching tires behind you at a stop sign because you left lights off too long again.

All the doohickies we pay for have a best case purpose not purfect for eco modding but turning a switch on and off 50 times in 20 miles sucks in my opinion. just be glad for our solid state electronics.