View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Some suggestions-

You will get better advice if you include more details on exactly what kind of truck you have, for example Engine(5.3L?), Transmission(4l60e?), Gearing(3.73?), Model(1500?), Drive(4x4?), Cab(Extended?). Pictures help too.

On my 2001 2500HD 4x4 8.1L/Allison X-cab, I had good luck with a custom in-person tune from Black Bear Performance. It gives better mileage, unless you like to push the go pedal in which case it goes faster and gives worse mileage.

Aerodynamically, a tonneau cover got me a MPG or so for city driving, not much for around town. For big gains from aerodynamics, look through some of the aero-cap threads others have made under the aerodynamics section of this forum.

I have not done this yet, but E-fans are a big gain from a clutch fan, but I have heard of reliability/quality issues with aftermarket fans. Many choose to repurpose a fan from a junkyard to get OEM quality at a reasonable price. Be sure you get a fan or fans that are comparable in CFM to your stock fan, especially if you haul or tow.

Don’t overlook tires, heavier and wider typically hurt your MPG. Taller can be good or bad depending on the situation, but typically taller goes along with heavier and wider and ends up hurting your MPG. Wheel and tire weight affect the amount of energy it takes from the engine to get you moving. Tread pattern, tire quality, and air pressure are also important factors to your rolling resistance.