View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 09:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrx View Post
I need to leave shortly for a cross country trip due to a death in the family. I have one day to complete one of my pending modifications (not including the one day to just make sure its ready) on my Civic VX. My choices:
1) Install mpguino and vacuum gauge (perhaps hand throttle time allowing)
2) Install moon discs (gotta figure out a workable mounting) and smooth undertray
3) Warm air intake WAI (intercooler based)
4) Install cruise control
5) Other

I have everything except for the nickle-and-dime stuff for each.

Trip details:
3600 miles
All Highway
two other drivers, non-hypermilers
Will be some major hills
In my opinion, for just you would go:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

But if you take those 3600 miles, and imagine you are only driving 1200 of them (you mentioned 2 other drivers who would most likely not value it), would you prefer a mod that only helps for 1/3 the trip, or the whole trip?
I voted CC because it is easy to set a rule, and people will follow. They set it, and you are good. On down hills, tell them to turn it off and coast.
How good is an mpguino when the driver is doing 85? Are moon discs/belly pans/WAI at 85 mph better than straight cruising at 65?

I find CC is best for going up hill, then bleeding more speed at the crest to creep over, then EOC until I need to engine brake to get to a reasonable speed, then EOC again.

For this situation, I would go:

I am not discrediting your build experience/quality, but do you trust your first draft build on a 3600 mile trip? Which is why 2 is last. I am not an expert, just trying to put myself in your shoes and how I would plan, based off what you mentioned. Hope it helps!

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
Superfuelgero (02-22-2014)