View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

The question is not in workablity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Its a bit like HHO - although maybe less Unicorn curry flavoured.

I have to ask myself if these systems were so good, why aren't manufacturers fitting them?
There is the simple matter of cost to benefit. Throw in system integration and reliability and these devices, even if beneficial, will be overlooked for much more robust solutions. Customers demand a superficial interaction with their cars. Fiddling with adding fluids on a regular basis brings on irritation.

I remember interviewing with an electric car manufacturer here in Southern California 20+ years ago. They sold only to municipalities and corporations that had technical service departments in place as the lead-acid batteries required re-watering, testing and balancing and constant replacement. Their Geo Metros would have been welcomed on these forums, but for the general public, they were just too "fiddly".

Then of course there is the government emission regulations. The slow rate of reaction of an electrolysis device and a steam generating device means sluggish control. This makes them difficult to integrate into a system that needs milli-second reactions to maintain a clean exhaust stream.