View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 03:20 AM   #59 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
This thread is right up the lines of what I was thinking. I too want to build a homemade areo trailer but in my case it would be bigger. Tow car would be a 2007 KIA sedona and the trailer will be about 94" total off the ground (basically 6' interior and deck about 16" off the ground), 6 1/2 feet wide (same as the van), and 14' long not counting the tounge. I wanted to use mostly 2" thick aluminum clad, foam composite panels. They don't bend much but can be placed at any angles and joints between surfaces could have about a 8" radius on the joints. Building it to look style wise like a F-117 stealth fighter would be easy, and pretty cool looking IMO, but doesn't seem to fit these aero templates. Short of that perfect shape what angles should the tail be tapered? 10° up from the ground, 18° in on each side, and 20° down on the roof sound close? I would tuck it as close as possible to the van but to make turning possible it would either need to be a v-nose or have a 36" tounge but 12-18" fairing could be added to the front of the trailer that the van could still turn in to.
Not trying to hyjack a thread but a lot of good information has already been covered here.