View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
WilliamYH09
EcoModding Lurker

Blueberry Yaris - '09 Toyota Yaris Base 2-door Hatchback 1.5L Automatic
90 day: 31.61 mpg (US)
MetroMPG,

I would have liked a manual, but I had been looking for a used and fairly inexpensive Yaris for a while and not many of them come up for sale around here. I didn't really want to pay more than $5k for a vehicle, and I didn't know how long it would have been before I found the "perfect" used Yaris.

Why didn't I get something else? Well, one of my criteria was a basic car - no power windows, power locks, power seats, etc. That narrows the choices quite a bit. Another criteria was something not more than 5 years old or so. I've had older vehicles with rust, worn out bushings, worn out gaskets, etc., and I got tired of feeling like I wasn't going to make it to my destination during every trip.

The car I got satisfied all my main criteria except the transmission, but I was willing to sacrifice that to finally get the car I wanted for less than $5k.

As far as a fuel economy display goes, I use a ScanGaugeII. I'm at 39 mpg average on my current tank (almost down to a quarter tank). I'm not sure if it is me getting used to the car or the slightly higher temperatures. Maybe both.

Old Mechanic,

Having lived in my area for 25 years and having delivered pizza for nearly 2 years in the same area, I know our stop light timing very well, and I definitely try to take advantage of it with hypermiling techniques. I'm glad most of our roads are 4 lanes, so people can go around me just to hit their brakes at the light (and they do a lot).

If I have to stop at the bottom of a hill (stop sign, drop off a delivery, etc.), I use Deceleration Fuel Cut Off (DFCO) which uses no fuel. I coast or slightly accelerate downhill if I know I can coast up the next hill. Otherwise, DFCO uses the least amount of fuel.

I always cut my engine off at the restaurant and while dropping off deliveries. I also cut my engine off at stop lights if I know I will be sitting there longer than just a few seconds.

UltArc,

I have considered removing the backseat and spare tire. I'll probably argue with myself for weeks about whether to keep them "just in case" or just get rid of them and deal with it.

I have also considered fabricating some rear wheel skirts and removing at least my passenger side view mirror. I'm not sure about other aero mods at this time.

Cobb,

I paid cash for my car ($5k), and I have commercial auto insurance. The car being repossessed or my insurance not covering damages is not an issue.

Last edited by WilliamYH09; 02-23-2014 at 11:00 PM..