View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #126 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
flying batteries

I'm not worried about flying batteries or box, because they will be bolted and strapped down, and isolated from the passenger compartment. That's a very good question, and fortunately it has been solved by EV designers over the last 30 years or so. Also, the batteries will only weigh about 320 pounds, and the motor is less than 1/2 of the weight of the engine, so it will only be about an extra 150 pounds. I'll just pretend that Oprah's evening meal is riding in the car with me.

Here's an interesting little anecdote:

My wife's car exploded (gas car) while her mom and brother were inside it driving down the freeway. They weren't hurt. The explosion stayed in the engine compartment. I won't have any of that dangerous gasoline in my car. Also, my charger and ghetto controller are so weenie in nature, that there will be very little gassing from the batteries, which is more than I can say for things over at Oprah's house, after a meal of baked beans.

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 07-05-2008 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: wife's exploding car story