View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
yoyoyoda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
When she had the chance, she passed me and shot me a dirty look. Two minutes later we were sitting at the same red light!
That should be illegal, both shooting a dirty look at an ecomodder and wasting fuel like that.

I see it happen all the time here too, infact its so common that nearly everybody does it.

The primary reason why anybody purchases anything is to brag to their friends that they have and/or own something.

How many times have you used that blender, really?

Its a primitive emotional reaction of jealousy towards someone else.

My bogan neighbour leaves the halogen porch light on all night. Because he can. 300 watts of power for 12 hours a day or longer, wasted.

But if I were to go over and smash the light globes, oh now that makes me a criminal.

People are idiots and severely misinformed about any scientific topic whatsoever.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology."
Carl Sagan

And science is all around us, yet nobody sees it, all they see is "shiney thing goes round, makes women horny".

You don't need a degree to purchase something, but you do need to be smart to actually use the product properly, or read the directions and interpret them accuratley. blame the failed education system for not giving people the tools to use tools properly.

If people were more logical and less emotional maybe the world wouldn't be so screwed up.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan

Basically, we're doomed unless someone can sufficiently shove more energy efficient vehicles and devices down these peoples throats irregardless of weather they actually understand the inner workings of anything at all.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."
Carl Sagan

Even if the fact that trees spontaneously shot up out of the ground every time a Prius hit 88 miles per gallon, the earth would still be screwed, because none of us are living anywhere closer to the forest, the forest is disappearing and it is getting further away from us, not nearer. We are pummelling down our previously held homes for new homes that we've temporarily made from petroleum and concrete, nothing that we have made is permanent on this planet and the Prius isn't a cure for this.

We simply need to stop consuming, full stop. If we cannot completely stop then we need to slow down our consumption to a snails pace. That's what the hybrid is, a stop gap measure.

Last edited by yoyoyoda; 03-01-2014 at 10:22 AM..