View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Teri_TX
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Ironside,

Thank you for the link. I just finished reading Creasey's article on Aerodynamics. I'm still trying to understand his reasoning for his "flow separation". As I said in my earlier edited (you may not have noticed) reply, The Creasey's rope is a turbulator which as I pointed out ALWAYS creates turbulence and potentially drag.

A better solution would be one that causes lift generation to be ruined as needed. Hence my "enthusiasm" for the stall strip concept. I'm not permanently joined at the hip with stall strips but I think they provide a fruitful development path. By this I mean that perhaps some careful shallow steps on the sides could destroy the lift in a controlled manner without excessive extra drag.

See my attachment. Note the slope at the step which may (I hope) keep airflow attachment in a calm or direct head on air flow with very minimal extra drag but in a cross wind situation, cause a flow separation and thus lift destroying effect. That's my theory and I'm sticking with it (for now)

I noticed the swoopy lines on the side of Allert's streamliner. I wonder if it was just for appearance reasons or if Allert was attempting to do as I suggest in my sketch.

-- Teri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
My mistake Teri, technical aspects of ff design at Technical aspects of FFs | FF Web. There's a menu that will take you to individual aspects you might be interested in.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Body step.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	14706  

Last edited by Teri_TX; 03-02-2014 at 08:24 PM..