View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
I have to admit I didn't read the article before my previous post, but now that I have read it I've got a few more questions.

Basically the article says that the only downside to higher pressures is the increased chance of puncture when running over odd shaped debris on the road.

I've never really ran over anything odd in my 16 years of driving so far, parts of truck tires would be the biggest or that poor porcipine... Lots of potholes though that I thought were going to keep the tire. I've also read about many people denting their rims on pothole edges. This must mess up the tire in some way too I'd imagine.

So wouldn't it be better to raise tire pressure to counter a common problem, hitting potholes and denting rims?

How big a pressure spike can tires handle when hitting things like potholes? I can see how the pressure spike would be less with lower initial pressure but how much higher is the spike at 45 psi vs 32 psi?
Ian

Also, one more thing, has anyone come across data on tire age vs. how much traction it retains? I think 5 years is about it for tires on a car, regardless of tread depth, am I just imagining that they now suck in the rain or do they actually slide more?