View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
redneck
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
The scenario I've kicked around is like this. Take a small RV like a Toyota Chinook or Dolphin (great on gas) and travel at my leisure for a couple months a year. Solar panels for powering most things and a small portable Honda generator for running the A/C and other higher power needs. There's a list that can be found on the web for free campgrounds. Plus, I believe Walmart allows one night stays in their parking lots also. One would just need to be able to able to dump the their sewage occasionally at a approved site. I do however like the idea of using something like "Anytime Fitness" as much as possible.

When I get tired of traveling and instead of driving halfway back across the country. I would find a storage lot to park the RV. Then take a bus or fly home. That way I could pick up where I left off when I want to resume my travels.

Stealth camping in a car or van is fine for short periods of time. However, having amenities like a kitchen, bath, full bed, plus ample storage and room to move around in makes all the difference in the world when on a extended trip.

>