View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
johnny_261
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I'd put more effort into finding an alternative to using the roof carrier; if you come up with one then a roof rack delete is in order if you have one.

None of those other things- even all added together- is going to even come close to cancelling out the bad effects of a rooftop carrier.

What I did with Moon Unit was internet shop for hitches; for me nobody even came close to the good deal I got from U-Haul. Not only that, I brought my tools, work clothes, and a piece of cardboard to lay on to the U-Haul store and installed the hitch myself out in the parking lot, and it was a piece of cake. IIRC it was a little over $100 total.

Perhaps you can estimate the mileage hit you take with the rooftop carrier and multiply that over 35k to come up with how much you can spend on a hitch and hitch carrier and still break even. Of course, you will still have those items for use after the trip as well.

With a hitch carrier you even have the option of cloaking it- possibly with coroplast- into a faux boattail, where you'd have a shot at improving fe.
You're right - it probably wouldn't be that expensive and given that a rooftop carrier will probably kill the mileage quite a bit, I'm sure it will pay for itself over the course of the trip. The only thing that I'm hesitant about is that it will probably limit our access to the rear trunk which might be a real hassle since we will constantly be loading and unloading stuff at our stops. The other thing, as I mentioned before, is city driving and parking...but we could probably learn to live with that.