View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #38 (permalink)
sheepdog 44

Here are some random thoughts mostly about mitigating crosswind dammage, than finding a perfect solution for it.

I would say increasing the dynamic stability of the bike will gain you a portion. A more advanced independent suspension, steering geometry, wheelbase and weight distribution will improve crosswind stability. Which begs the point that the "optimal" donor bike would need to be modified or custom made. As far as weight distribution, i've seen custom rigs where the driver almost sits over the front wheel. Others have the drive sitting low in the frame.

Weight is a big deal. There was a nearly completely enclosed motorcycle that drove coast to coast on one large tank of gas. It was more stable full than empty. Electric motorcycles are the best clean sheet approach. You have 200 or more pounds of batteries that can be optimally placed for stability.

The simplest solution is the Bebe Pulse autocycle with two outriggers made from trailer wheels. Making a non optimal form like Vetter's Honda Helix with openings (to counteract sidewinds???) is less effective than adding frontal area in outriggers and doing a completely enclosed streamliner. It would also be more commercially viable in cost and in the low driver skill involved than the Monotracer.

The nose is where you can affect crosswind stability without adversely affecting aerodynamics. I like Teri's thoughts on this. A rounded radiused nose is best for crosswind on cars cause it easily passes air from side to side. but on a tall thin bike you want something that equalizes the air pressure on either side. The wind blowing you is manageable. The suction on the other side, being multiplied by speed is the BIG issue. That is the real root of the problem! Suction, suction, suction!

I've thought about small deployable airflaps perpendicular to the airflow to ruin your aerodynamics when neccesary. Crosswinds are not an everyday issue. The last resort would be to just kill your aerodynamics when absolutely neccesary.

Last edited by sheepdog 44; 03-05-2014 at 06:41 PM..