View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 01:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_261 View Post
Also, one of the questions in the original post was should I remove the rear spoiler? Thoughts on this?

Again, thanks for the input. Getting so excited to hit the road.
Thanks for filling in more of the details.

The spoiler is likely improving your aero just slightly, while keeping the rear window a little more clear. I'd keep it.

If you already have the roof mounted rack and rails, then I'd just go with it, and see about making a small mod to make it more streamlined towards the rear. Your concerns about access to the rear, and having to add a hitch are well founded.

All that said, I still encourage a different vehicle. A minivan would make the trip very comfortable while returning respectable mpg. The Honda Odyssey is EPA rated 28mpg highway, and the Prius v has 50% more cargo space than a standard Prius and gets 40mpg highway.

Your low mile car will not be low mile after this trip. You might as well sell it at a premium considering the great shape and low miles, and buy a reliable, but higher mileage car. The road trip should be easy miles for the engine, even though you are traveling a great distance. The problem is, nobody will care how easy the miles were when you go to sell. Might as well get a car that already has more miles, but is in great shape.

Alright, I'm not going to convince you, so I'll drop the subject. I mostly wanted to throw this out there for others that are reading.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
fearone (03-14-2014)