View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 01:57 AM   #86 (permalink)
bigchelis
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
As soon as you get it, remove the head and get a ARP stud kit. There isn't one specifically for that engine with the 11mm head bolts, but they can build a kit for you that will work.

Barring that, you can also get some threaded rod in the grade 8, cut it to size, and use that in the same way.

The problem with the head bolts is that the recess in the block is a blind hole and very close to an oil galley or water jacket or something... it cracks when you overtighten the bolt, which basically everyone does.

Don't trust 'I wont overtighten it'... just replace the bolts with studs. Unless you want to research which hole cracks and trim that bolt down by about 3-4 threads so it doesn't contact the bottom of the blind hole. The other option is lots of machine work to finish drilling that hole all the way through and apply sealant to the threads of that bolt when you install it.

Yeah the head bolt issues sound like a pita
I actually was about to drive 4 hours to pick it up only to find out the 2 and 4 door Rabbits are same lenght !!! Only reason I wanted a 2 door was because I thought they were shorter lenght
The Following User Says Thank You to bigchelis For This Useful Post:
Christ (03-06-2014)