View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
So, this is embarrassing. Bacon has a "Check Engine" light, but Chorizo has a light that shows the outline of an engine. Being stressed and rushed, I reasoned that since the check engine light says "Check Engine," the other one must be the transmission...

The vaguely rectangular thing with what looks like a pulley on the side? Totally the transmission! How would I have any idea how a bell housing looks?!

So embarrassing...

This happened during a three-day drill, immediately before two tests, so I really did not have time for it. My Xist-is-an-Idiot light came on thirty-six hours before my most recent three-day drill, so I just turned around, parked my car, and decided to focus on drill and my tests.

I started doing schoolwork that would be due during drill and then I decided to have a mechanic look at it while I was away, except, they shortly said: "Yeah. That is the check engine light. You have a 1399, a misfire. We cannot do anything else for a day or two, but the first things to do are to inspect the spark plugs and wires, which you can do by simply replacing them."

So, the guy who could not tell the engine from the transmission thought "I got this!" I had replaced the spark plugs and wires in Bacon, which required removing the battery, windshield washer reservoir, and intake. How difficult could it be on the Civic?

My girlfriend did just fine. However, it did not seem to fix anything. I do not think that I have ever seen her move that quickly. I removed the distributor rotor, and I, my roommates, and the guy at O'Reilly said "Well, it doesn't look good, I just cannot say that it is the problem. They were the only ones with the right spark plugs, but the nearest store with a distributor\rotor was in California, so we ordered it, and he suggested that I used SeaFoam engine treatment. After a couple of miles, everything smoothed out, so I drove home, stayed up until 02 doing my homework and preparing for drill, woke up at 04, and then went and drove a bus full of Soldiers!

Xist is my World of Warcraft character that uses a gun. I, however, am not deadly beyond licking distance. Tell me how to practice daily with an M-16 for $15 monthly I will totally start doing that instead.

Last edited by Xist; 09-12-2014 at 05:50 PM..