View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts
Quote:
All the way! Don't stop at 2, 3, or 4 feet. Make it 100% in length to the template...ineffably described as...
...diminishing returns.

Quote:
Still looking into the exact dimensions I want, I am having trouble finding anything I can comprehend on here- or even searching for the specific term.

All advice, direction, and math help given will be appreciated
How about opinion?

Is it the finding or comprehension? "mustang boattail" finds 739 results. "mustang boat tail" finds 4,900. The problem is it sweeps up every post that has 'Mustang' in anyone's profile. I'm not going to look at all of them.

A proper boattail would include the roofline. Have you thought about the tailights and license plate? How big a bustle are you willing to drag around? You could do a lot with an 18" extension including a partial bellypan/difusser.

You're 'b' so ~4°.

A box cavity or base plate would involve less fabrication.

Bonnevile spoiler:

A rigid piece of fiberglass will have maybe 6-8 plys. I'd eschew PVC and polycarbonate. Look for Polymetal, Alumipanel or MaxMetal (Same thing with different brand names). It's plastic with aluminum skins. I pick up scraps at the local recyler for experimentation, but I don't have any pics to show. The 3mm stuff can be sheared, rolled and flanged by hand, and its about as strong as 5/8" plywood at 1/10th the weight.