Thread: Pulse and Glide
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #30 (permalink)
whatthe
Power tuner gone eco

Prudence - '93 BMW 325 i
90 day: 36.64 mpg (US)
I haven't been hypermiling long enough to get into P&G but I plan to start trying a few different ways on the next fill ups.

Most practical for me on a daily commute would be less than 10mph pulse glide around 50-60mph. Low speeds will have less rolling and aero drag and your car should hold the glide longer and require less effort in the pulse, but low speeds are probably better for closed track testing than the real world.

Another thing to consider is the point where your ECU goes into a rich power tune mode. My car goes really rich around 1/2 throttle so I'm thinking that I may have more gains by going to the max throttle opening before the ECU goes into a power tuning mode for my pulse. This throttle point is very vehicle specific. Generally most econoboxes like the base Civic tend to be very difficult to get out of stoich so you should be able to apply more throttle... and the more performance oriented versions of a car - like Civic SI, BMW, etc.. tend to go rich at much lower throttle openings.