View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #53 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by grswat View Post
My local dealer said they could correct the speedometer in the pcm. I assumed that meant a flash but if that one value can be adjusted that must be what they meant.
Sounds about right. For somewhat-recent late model Chryslers, the DRBIII emulator ties the 41TE pinion factor value directly to tire size, so when you change the tire size in the emulator, you're actually changing the pinion factor. That implies a table of 8 or standardized pinion factor values, for 8 or so different supported tire sizes.

Unfortunately, that also implies that the pinion factor itself cannot directly be changed (at least, not with the DRBIII emulator). Furthermore, it would appear that this table itself changes, depending on whether the minivan has a 3.8L engine or a 3.3L engine. I remember reading that the Dodge Intrepid folks had the exact same issue when they tried transplanting a shorter differential, out of a 2.7L engine-equipped Intrepid, into the transmission of a 3.5L equipped Intrepid.

Some aftermarket programmers have the ability to adjust tire size by +/- 0.25 inch (or so), which implies they can modify the pinion factor value. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find such a programmer for the Caravan.

Yep, I do miss having an actual pinion gear that could be changed. Chrysler appeared to go back in this direction with the LX platform, though. There, the speedometer is driven off the ABS controller, which takes speed inputs from all 4 wheels.

On a side note, I could finally figure out how to get my own LX (the Karen-Mobile) to accept a 2.87 differential - the stock Chrysler scan tool does not support at all changing differential ratios, since it assumes that all 2005 LXes equipped with a 3.5L engine and a 42RLE transmission, also have a 3.636 differential. There's some 4 separate values that have to be written into the on-board computers. Now, all that remains is to actually physically install the 2.87 differential into the Karen-Mobile.