View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 05:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kruilty
EcoModding Lurker

Exclamation $30 to get another 1.5 MPG

Don't know if anyone else here has tried this. I'm new here. But wanted to get feed back on it. I know of others that have done this and gotten the same results.

The "BIG THREE" wiring change under the hood. Big Audiophiles running mobile amps etc use this change to beef up power delivery. This is where it gets interesting.....I perform the BIG THREE by not removing but adding in parallel additional 6 gauge battery cables to the stock small cables running from:

1. The (-) battery to fender ground.
2. The Battery (+) to fuse box feed.
3. Right front cylinder head engine (available threaded bolt) to left shock tower bolt(ie frame connection to engine block)
4. added cable from stock alternator (+) output to Battery (+) post following stock cable.
5. I also beefed up the stock (-) ground run straight run down form the (-) battery post to the frame behind the front left tire at frame.

Ok, so I made 5 changes but effectively still falls under the Big Three change rules to follow. You can google Big Three wiring change and see those basic rules to follow or implement.

All cables simply doubled up providing an effective 3 to 4 gauge connections.

Now, not a bit of head light flicker, voltage maintained 14.2v charging voltage at all times.

But here's what else has occurred and what I wanted to share with you.

1. Slightly brighter headlights.

2. Engine starts are far quicker...no lag in starter (Same stock battery BTW) It's more of a snap start vs the ruh..ruh..start. Starter has better power feed even though I did not increase the starter cable feed size.

3. Here's the kicker...I am seeing 1.5 MPG average increase in fuel economy!! I actually had a tank on a long mostly freeway trip to Monterey a couple weeks back get me 18.2 MPG! Otherwise very same drive to work and back. This has to be due to increased power delivery to the ignition system and a stronger spark through those independent coils.

4. Also, another plus is the adding of more distance needed to use the remote starter. No need to be so close in using one. Maybe it was a difference in weather, obstacles or nothing. I'm still testing.

This additional big three wiring done by yourself would cost you about $30.00 tops in cable and dual bolt lug battery lead clamps all available at your local auto store.